At Brotherton and Byram Primary Academy, we recognise the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of all our children. We believe that an innovative, varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all our children. High quality physical education not only allows pupils to develop physical development, movement skills and body confidence; but also contributes to physical, mental and social well-being.
Through the use of the PE and Sports Premium funding since 2012 we have recently developed ‘Our PESSPA Programme’ where the funding is used to help improve and develop our Physical Education, School Sport and Physical Activity provisions.
We aim to provide a broad and varied programme of high quality transferable skills and modified sporting activities which enables all pupils to develop positive attitudes towards physical activity and healthy lifestyles. We are committed to ensuring that the funding is used to benefit all pupils.
We aim to achieve the following key indicators with our sports premium money:
- Key indicator 1: The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that primary school children undertake at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day in school
- Key indicator 2: The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- Key indicator 3: Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Key indicator 4: Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Key indicator 5: Increased participation in competitive sport
Our Primary School Sports Funding enables us to continue and extend our provision for every child in school, through employing additional physical education practitioners, entering into more competitive sports competitions and training our staff to deliver quality in-house PE sessions.
For more information on how we have used our Sports Premium Grant during 2021-2022 please see the attached document: