Malted Chocolate Cake
This cake is very nice, especially if you like Maltesers!
For the cake
30g (1oz) malted chocolate drink powder
30g (1oz) cocoa powder
225g (8oz) butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
225g (8oz) caster sugar
225g (8oz) self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
For the icing
3 tbsp malted chocolate drink powder
11/2 tbsp hot milk
125g (4 ½ oz) butter, softened
250g (9oz) icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
50g (2oz) dark chocolate (at least 50% cocoa solids), melted
1 tbsp boiling water
Maltesers to decorate
- You will need two 20cm (8in) round sandwich tins. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas 4 and grease tins with butter and line with baking paper.
- Measure the malted chocolate drink powder and cocoa powder into a large bowl, pour over 2 tablespoons of water and mix to a paste. Add the remaining cake ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Divide evenly between the prepared tins and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Set aside in the tins to cool for 5 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, measure the malted chocolate drink powder into a bowl, add the hot milk and mix until smooth. Add the butter, icing sugar and melted chocolate and mix again until smooth, then add the boiling water to give a gloss to the icing.
- Place one cake on a plate and spread over half the icing. Sandwich with the other cake and spread (or pipe) the remaining icing on top, using the tip of a rounded palette knife to create a swirled effect from the centre to the edge of the cake. Arrange the Maltesers over the top and dust with icing sugar before serving.