After School Clubs, Lunchtime clubs and External Provisions
Over the course of the year our children will have the opportunity to participate in a wide range of activities and games that are offered on top of the two PE lessons that they receive in a week. Our Sports Coach and Teachers will run after school clubs throughout the year that provide different activities such as athletics, fitness fun, netball and football. The school will also provide children with external providers, in a variety of sports and activities who provide more options to our school in order to try and keep our children as active as possible.
What we have done so far;
- i2i Football have delivered after school clubs to KS1 and KS2 in both Football and Dodgeball. They also delivered extra Quicksticks Hockey training to our team during lunchtimes.
- Nursery have started with Mini Football sessions delivered by Kixx Coaching Company
- Mr Jeff has offered High 5 Netball activities during lunchtime and also delivered Sportshall Athletics after school clubs
- Mrs Forster and Miss Haseldan deliver a Fitness/Running Club to all KS2 on a weekly basis
- Last year we attended the Brownlee Triathlon Event at York Sports Village. We are looking to attend this event this year as well.
- We had two free sessions delivered to EYFS and KS1 by Elite Kids Coaching, they focused on Dance and Fundamental Fitness
- Every year a golf coach from Selby Golf Club comes in to deliver four Tri-golf sessions to years 3 and 4
All these activities and provisions are additional to the two PE lessons that we deliver to our children on a weekly basis.
Selby Primary School Sports Cluster
Every year we are a part of the Selby Primary School Sports Cluster. The cluster comprises 13 primary schools from around the Selby District area. An events sports calendar is designed every year with various events, festivals and competitions on which we as a school try to attend as many as possible. The calendar is designed by Mr Jeff, the local School Games Organiser (SGO) Stacey Howard and PE Leads from schools who are in the sports cluster. The calendar has the following events on it;
- Level 2 Cluster Competitions: These are competition pathways to the next round. The winners of these events qualify for the Level 2 Selby District Finals. If you win this event you qualify to represent Selby District in the Level 3 North Yorkshire Finals.
- Festivals: These are events that are less focused on competition and more focused on aspects such as introducing children to a new skill or sport, engaging less active children and improving social skills.
This year so far our children have competed in the following events
- Six Year 3/4 children attended the Quicksticks Hockey event at Selby High School. The team came third overall in the tournament.
- 10 year 5/6 girls went to Selby Leisure Centre to represent the school in a football tournament back in October. The girls had so much, scoring a couple of goals and winning a couple of matches.
- Many of our children from KS2 attended the Cross Country event at Selby High School back in September. We had 9 children qualify for the next round and one year boy even managed to qualify for the level 3 North Yorkshire Finals which took place at Dalby Forest in Scarborough
- Over 20 of our year 5/6 boys and girls represented the school at the level 2 Sportshall Athletics competition at Selby High in December. Our team did brilliantly and won the event against nine other schools and qualified for the second round. At the Selby District Finals, which were held at Drax Reed School we finished second to eventual level 3 and North Yorkshire Champions South Milford.
- Seven year 6 boys and girls represented our school at Selby High School recently. The team did amazing and finished second. We drew two matches and won three. We didn’t concede one point all tournament and qualified for the next round.
English Schools Football Association
In year 5 and 6 both girls and boys will have the opportunity to represent the school playing for the football teams. The girls team will be competing in the local cup and the boys will be playing in a league and cup competition against other local schools around the Selby District.